To find out more about The Bristol Hornstars or to book the band, please email Hornstars’ managers:
To find out more about BUJO or to book the band, please email the BUJO managers:
If you have any queries regarding our website or would like to join the big band society, please contact the technical officer:
To be kept up to date by the society with regards to auditions, upcoming BUJO gigs and other events, sign up to our mailing list using the form:
Have a look at our FAQs regarding the booking of the bands before you email any of the managers.
Frequently Asked Questions
You will need to provide us with the date and estimated time that you would like to book us, as well as the venue and nature of your event (e.g. wedding reception, university society ball, corporate function etc.).
Once we have received this information we will be able to check our availability and provide you with a quote. If you are happy to proceed with the booking, we will require the following additional information:
– Name and address of payee/society/organisation.
– Set times (see following question for more info).
– Contact telephone number.
– Any additional special requirements, such as a special dress code, song requests etc. (see following questions for more info).
Once we have received this information we will write up a contract and email it to you as soon as possible. You will need to print this out, check that the information is correct, sign, scan and email back to us.
We will also email you an invoice (see payment information below).
Our standard performance time is 2 x 45minute sets, usually with a short 15-minute interval. We can extend the length of the interval if necessary.
We are occasionally asked to play 1 x 1hour, this is no problem at all, however please note that as most of our time is spent not actually playing (i.e. planning, transporting gear, setting up, setting down, unloading gear and transporting gear back) this is not preferred and will not be substantially cheaper.
– Hire of our equipment.
– Transport (central Bristol only).
– 21 musicians if you’re booking Hornstars, 25-35 for BUJO
– Guaranteed entertainment!
– Transport outside of central Bristol. We are happy to travel to your event. In the past, we have travelled
to many places, including Exeter, Devon, Bath and Birmingham. However, you will be required to pay the cost
of hiring a coach. This cost is dependent on distance, we will always make sure that we get the cheapest
– Use of our equipment before and after the performance. Equipment will be packed down once our performance
– Performance space – we will require space a minimum of approximately 15ft x 12ft (5m x 4m).
– Access to standard electrical sockets.
– Parking – we will require two/three parking spaces and access to load/unload equipment.
– A ‘green room’ – we will need somewhere to store our personal belongings, get changed and warm up.
– Entry tickets/wristbands – If necessary we will require 23 entry passes for Hornstars (21 musicians + 2
committee members), and around 30 for BUJO. These can be given to us upon arrival.
– Early access – we will require access to the venue at least 90 minutes before our performance time to load
in and set up.
Please ensure that payment is made BEFORE the date of your event. If for any reason there is a delay, you need to make sure that you let us know.
Payment method is limited to cheque only. The address to send payment is written at the bottom of the invoice. Please ensure that you write the date and name of the event on the reverse side of the cheque to make sure that our treasurer can clearly identify it.
If you are unable to pay by cheque, please let us know so that we can make alternative arrangements.
If payment is directly from a University faculty, please ensure that you provide us with a purchase order serial number if payment is directly through finance.
Hornstars standard dress code is a white shirt, black trousers, red braces and black shoes. Black tie is also available on request.
BUJO dress code is either all black or black tie.
Any requests must be made well in advance, as acquiring music and rehearsing takes time. We ask that if you do have a special music request, that this is limited to one piece. Special request is charged at an additional £25, this is how much it will cost us to purchase the big band sheet music. If we already have the music then there will be no charge.
Yes, certificates can be provided on request.
If this happens then you need to let us know as soon as possible, we will try our best to accommodate this, however this may not always be possible.
Unfortunately not, due to the complexity of big band musical arrangements, a full band is required.
However, we do offer small group bookings. Small groups (usually 3-6 musicians) are suited for a more relaxed environment, where light background music is desirable. Please enquire if you would like more information on this.